WmiPrvSE.exe

This is the section for technology talk.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

WmiPrvSE.exe

Post by LMD »

Has anyone using a Windows PC had any recent issues with performance - namely, slow-acting apps? Since late yesterday, my hard drive was spinning with read/write things going on, apps like Outlook and MS Edge were running real slow. I was thinking it was a MS issue, maybe OS, or Windows updates. I had the same issue trying to get FF and Chrome browsers to work so I don't think it's a browser/internet issue.

In task manger I noticed WMI Provider Host was running and taking lots of power and sometimes CPU. I think the actual app is WmiPrvSE.exe. I searched this out a bit and there were suggestions to try, which are above my knowledge, but suffice it to say, I thing the source of teh issue is Windows Updates trying to update to some newer version of Win 10. This update I've been trying to avoid for the longest time and keep pushing it off.

A little history/background first...

The latest update notice I keep getting says this version of Windows 10 will no longer be supported and I should update my system with the latest version. Every time I tried, it gets stuck at 91% - doesn't matter how long I leave the PC alone to do the update, it never finishes, I have to reboot, and it reverts back to the previous Windows version, and everything is fine - until the next time it tries to force me to update.

I keep pushing off this update, because windows is sneaky and sometimes leaves you with no other choice but to shut down and allow the update. So, I keep going into the windows update settings and keep pushing this update out the max amount of time, which I believe is around 5 weeks or so?

Anyhow - does anyone have any idea with the issue regarding WMI Provider Host, or this latest Windows update hang?

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: WmiPrvSE.exe

Post by Colbyt »

I think windows sometimes hangs when intermediate updates weren't done.

Pretty much I just let it do what it wants to do when it wants to do it. All that is required to do that is never walk away with and unsaved file in case it happens while you are away.

You are right abot the associated file and this: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... vider+Host might offer you and out.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Re: WmiPrvSE.exe

Post by LMD »

Update: Machine is now performing normally - no lag that I can detect that isn't extraordinary. ;)

I think my machine was in the process of performing an update I didn't "agree to". I went into window settings and push back any further updates until early October, which is as far out as I'm allowed to push them. I'm running AV and Malware progs, so I'm not feeling vulnerable.

Return to “Tech Discussions”