Which internet browser is the best?

This is the section for technology talk.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Random American
Normal Member
Answers: 0

Which internet browser is the best?

Post by Random American »

I use Firefox as it is in my view flexible and stable, while browsers like Chrome seem to me to hog up system resources. I never liked Internet Explorer and never used Edge. Regardless, what browser is your favorite?

It's amazing that way before my time, Internet Explorer ultimately eliminated a browser competitor called Netscape Navigator, as IE has always been terrible when I used it.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator
Latest blog post: Play » « on Web Browser Games

Re: Which internet browser is the best?

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

When i was young i was a big fan of Netscape Navigator. After Netscape stopped releasing new versions of Netscape Navigator, there was a short period i used Internet Explorer, until Firefox was released. So now i am a happy Firefox user.

I do believe that a web browser is a personal choice, others may have good reasons to use the web browser they use :)

Random American
Normal Member

I don't disagree with that. I don't judge someone for what browser they use of course, though I do think it's an interesting discussion to have. It's also amazing to look back on how the internet was different back in the day. Of course, I didn't even exist back then, but for me, that just makes it all the more interesting. My father used to have AOL, and I haven't even heard anything about them in years.

Today, the big players seem to be Chrome and Firefox as far as web browsers go, though I could be wrong about that.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

I have always had IE on my machines even way back when we had to design for IE and Netscape.

Never liked Firefox because it seems/seemed like a resource hog but have had it on my machines for design purposes.

Don't like Chrome.

Don't like Edge either but am forced to use it for an IE replacement so I know what other non techy people are going through. It's missing stuff I used in IE!!!

I have had Opera on my machines in the past.

Seeing that they are all basically based on the same thing now guess it's just a matter of the interface you like.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Random American
Normal Member

For people who still like IE, I think binging awareness that it is still there in Windows 10 could work to get more people to use it. I mean, all it takes is typing iexplore.exe into the run prompt or creating a shortcut on the desktop to access it. I just pulled it up on my computer now that you mentioned it.
An attempt to replace the phpB3Refugees forum that fell into disrepair: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Ya, but try and visit YouTube in IE. MS has manipulated it so that sites like Youtube open in Edge. Even our older machine with Windows 7 they went and "updated" it to a) install Edge without permission and b) do the same default thing for Youtube.

Guess you would have to set your default browser to IE then send yourself a link to YouTube video for that to work.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Random American
Normal Member

I didn't know that actually. And It does appear that Microsoft will continue to kill the browser. They will pull support August 17th, 2021 on a bunch of products according to the page I just read. Maybe future versions of Windows 10 will get rid of it entirely. I don't know.
An attempt to replace the phpB3Refugees forum that fell into disrepair: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php

Return to “Tech Discussions”