Upgrading from Outlook 2010 to 2016

This is the section for technology talk.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Upgrading from Outlook 2010 to 2016

Post by LMD »

A little while back I upgraded my MS Office suite of apps which included Outlook, to the MS 2016. The reason I did this mostly, is because my Outlook 2010 has to be "repaired" a good amount of times, as it seemed to lose connection with QuickBooks. I'd create an invoice, send as email, and everything looks fine - until I check my "Sent mail" folder and noticed nothing went out.

I know this is probably an issue with Outlook and QB, but the only way I could get the two apps to play nice, was to "repair" outlook each time this happened. And that includes an elongated process of "repair", that once completed, I had to reboot. I got tired of having to do all that, and figured since my suite of MS apps were dated, and why not upgrade.

So, I did. I upgrade to the latest online subscription at the time.

Here's the problem - when I installed the new Outlook version, imported all the emails, sent, drafts - all folders, all seemed to be fine. When I first ran the upgraded Outlook, it began sending out a bunch of emails - most of which (as I later discovered) were QB emails of old invoices. I immediately stopped all the sending when I looked at the status line, which showed 2016 was sending out dozens of emails - maybe more. I had no idea they were invoices, till I almost immediately got a call from a client saying she definitely has paid the invoice I just sent her. That's when I looked a the upgrade software versions "send" file and saw a shite-ton of old QB invoice emails had just been sent out.

I think, the new Outlook imported everything from the old version - even the attempts to send out QB emails that seemed to "fail" in the past. I'm thinking the old software must have kept a record of all of the failed "sends", and when I invoked 2016, it began happily sending them out.

It was a little embarrassing that I had to send out a bunch of emails to clients asking them to disregard the emails they received that day. And, so now, I'm stuck using Outlook 2010 until I can figure out a way to invoke it without sending out any more failed "sends" that I negated sending out by stopping the mass sending function that one day.

Any thoughts?

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: Upgrading from Outlook 2010 to 2016

Post by Colbyt »

Why outlook?

I'm quite happy with live mail.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Thats where i started, and QB was compatible back then.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Can you put Outlook 2016 in offline mode and see if those old invoices which are not sent yet are in the Out folder?

Are you using QB Online or desktop?
Undelivered Invoices in QuickBooks Online (I couldn't find this in my desktop version of QB but I didn't set up to email invoices either)
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

I was thinking to just turn off the modem and see what happens when I invoke the app. So, you are aware that the app has an offline mode? If so I could investigate this further, or as I mentioned just above, turn the modem off and open the app. ;)

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Under the Send/Receive is where Work Offline is in the ribbon of my Outlook but your idea to unplug from the modem/internet would probably help if you can't find Work Offline quickly.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

LMD wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:40 pm Thats where i started, and QB was compatible back then.
Aha. The hidden gottcha. You want a one step process for invoices.

Maybe AC's solution will work.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Accrete wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:31 am Under the Send/Receive is where Work Offline is in the ribbon of my Outlook but your idea to unplug from the modem/internet would probably help if you can't find Work Offline quickly.
I will check that out for sure. Ya, I don't want to invoke the app, just to see how fast it does it's send/receive while I fumble to find the "offline" button. :shock:
Last edited by LMD on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Colbyt wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 pm Aha. The hidden gottcha. You want a one step process for invoices.

Maybe AC's solution will work.
Way back, I used to have to export the invoice as a PDF, print it (for my paper records and accountant), then attach in an email to send to the client. When the QB version came along that I could send the invoice as an attachment in an email, within the QB app, I jumped at it. With my older wonky version of Outlook, and relatively new version of QB, along with my PC that's 3 years old now (I think), it's a bit of a pain what I have to go thru to send out invoices. The good thing is, I only send out a few invoices a month now. ;)

Return to “Tech Discussions”