Norton 360

This is the section for technology talk.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Norton 360

Post by LMD »

I noticed an issue a little while back, in that my system's disk drive was spinning at, or near, 100% most of the time, if not all the time. It seemed that Norton was using the most resources and no matter what I did with the internal Norton settings, I could not get the app to release it's grip in terms of drive spinning, and slowing system resources to an almost crawl! Seriously, I kid you not.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling - nothing worked. So, I decided to try another AV/Malware/web search protecting app, and disk spinning is now around 10%, when not performing a drive/system scan. Normal, right? I had to jump a few hoops as Norton didn't like this new app, and the new app didn't like Norton being installed either. A tug of war, and I had to intervene. ;)

I finally feel free, and will buy this new app and rid myself of at least 10 years of Norton loyalty. Have you, or someone you know, used Norton and had trouble with it hogging resources?

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: Norton 360

Post by Colbyt »

I use it and have not noticed a problem. There are several recent upgrades that required a reboot. Perhaps they had an issue.

I think HTML also uses it.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Ya, I know, right? I originally thought the malware program might be interfering or conflicting with Norton 360, so I disabled the malware app, but there was no discernible improvement in performance as the disk was still spinning constantly. Since uninstalling both apps, and installing the new app (which is AV and Malware enhanced), performance has to returned to normal. Disk spinning at 7-15% most of the time. :?

I've got a Dell with a SSD, which is a slightly newer machine that has come into my possession, so if my current machine continues to decline (disk, hardware etc), I'll replace it with the dell. The only problem with the Dell, is the "drive" chip is only $125GB, but it has a 1TB spinning drive as well - for data I guess.

A while back I purchased a 1TB SSD "plug in" that was on sale to use in the Dell, but it's not the same chip as the current SSD, which fits right onto the MB. I guess I can use the 1TB SSD for data, and to install some programs if the 125GB chip gets crowded with the OS and programs.

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

Sounds complicated. :)

I do know as you do that there are 2 styles. Right at the moment the names escape my mind.

We are getting our first accumulating snowfall of the year so the city will grind to a halt.
Colbyt

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Our weather has been pretty good. I've only had the driveway plowed 3 times this season. So, at this moment, it's costing $166.66 per instance. With each instance, the cost per visit declines. Part of me wants to get more value for the money spent, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind if it didn't snow again until next December. ;)

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

They claim we will get another storm today before it warms up on Monday. That type I can deal with.

I don't know whether to hope for you to lower your cost per scraping or tell you to be thankful you aren't snowed in. :)
Colbyt

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

We're getting quite a bit over-night and into tomorrow.

I guess the snow removal fee is like insurance. Sometimes the home owner gets more value (lots of snow) and some times the service company does (little snow). I've not had an auti claim in over 30+ years, but I still pay annually. ;)

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

Starting to look like our forecast was sponsored by the grocery stores to sell milk and bread. At this point it is pretty much a non event.
Colbyt

Return to “Tech Discussions”