Mesh Wi-Fi System

This is the section for technology talk.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Mesh Wi-Fi System

Post by Accrete »

Do you have a mesh WiFi system setup in your place?
What Is a Mesh Wi-Fi System?

Designed to blanket your home with wireless coverage, Wi-Fi systems are a hybrid of sorts, made up of several networking components. There's a main router that connects directly to your modem, and a series of satellite modules, or nodes, that you place throughout your house. They are all part of a single wireless network, and share the same SSID and password. Unlike range extenders, which communicate with the router via the 2.4GHz or 5GHz radio bands, most Wi-Fi system satellites use mesh technology to talk to the router and to each other.
The Best Wi-Fi Mesh Network Systems for 2020 (PC Magazine)
5 Jun 2020

I noticed that the tablet network icon only shows about 50% strength in the livingroom which isn't that far from the main router. Haven't tried any wireless devices in the yard yet. Wondering if worth looking into a mesh system???

Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.
Advertisement
Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: Mesh Wi-Fi System

Post by Colbyt »

Maybe. But first try moving the router around a bit. We are a wired and wireless system here. The router is in the basement and my kindle downloads well even when I am upstairs in the bedroom. DW streams music wirelessly out on the deck. I get wifi on my phone in the garage. I've never checked to see how far down the street I go before I lose signal.

I am actually surprised it works as well as it does since the router is directly under a steel beam. It is a dual antenna Linksys I bought for $3 at Goodwill. The prior one was a bit flakey.

Colbyt
LMD
Contributing Member

Re: Mesh Wi-Fi System

Post by LMD »

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure these things "take over" from the main router. I say this, because I've got two installed - one upstairs, and one in the basement. They were installed because both juniors complained. One complained that his wireless computer system upstairs was lagging during online-gaming. I could have told him that would happen. The other one (older junior) complained that the Neflix programming on the basement tv was lagging.

So, to keep peace in the house, I got two of them.

But, if you look at the mobile app, which shows which devices are connected to each extender, I noticed something odd. I figured the way it worked was, the closest device would hook into the nearest extender. That isn't the case though as I find my phone hooks into the one on the second floor, even if I'm in the basement, near the one installed down there. I haven't check this in a while though, and I'm sure there's probably a way to control this sort of thing, but it's above my pay-grade and patience at the moment. ;)

Return to “Tech Discussions”