Dreaded Windows 10 1909 update

This is the section for technology talk.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Dreaded Windows 10 1909 update

Post by LMD »

My system has been "dragging it's feet" for some time now. Slow-ish, kind of hesitant to do things like changing back and forth between open app windows, opening new apps, booting up, shutting down etc. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't dragging all of a sudden. It was just getting slower, and less responsive than usual over time.

I may have posted about this somewhere here a while back. Anyhow, here's the update.

So, a while back MS was notifying end of support for the version of windows 10 I have installed (can't remember version number), maybe 1800 something? Anyhow, I usually update my system with all necessary updates, and so the new version 1909 would try to install. After several hours, it would hang at 91% complete. This update was in the process of installing and I noticed it was kind of stuck at 91%. So, I figured it was going to take a while, so I just left it installing overnight. I woke up in the morning and it was still at 91%. So, I did the nasty and turned off the machine using the power button, as there was nothing I could do, and I had work to do. I know it isn't a good thing to do that, but what else could I do?

So, when I booted the machine back up, I was lucky (I didn't know what the outcome of the nasty turn-off would do), and the machine booted, but first had to revert back to the previous version of Windows I was using the day before. After a few wonky starts, it was back - slow ish and hesitant (sort of) to do anything I needed doing "normal quick". So, I tried this update installation again, when I was notified of it weeks later. Same issue.

Because of this PITA update problem/issue, I just decided to not install this monster in the near future if I was notified, and if I got the notification, I'd just kept pushing this install notice back as far as I could. In fact, if you didn't really take notice, it sometimes, sneakily, tried to install if you didn't look closely at the normal shut-down steps.

Well, it happened again - I wasn't paying attention and all of a sudden yesterday I noted 1909 was installing at shutdown. It went on for two hours, installing, rebooting, installing more, rebooting more, and then it finally the machine booted and the install was complete!

The machine seems to be a bit more responsive than what I was used to prior, boots up faster and at least so far, kind of responsive to my computing needs. The dreaded 1909 update has done the nasty, installed itself, and things seem to be better - probably until the next big update!!

Fingers crossed!! :lol:

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator
Latest blog post: Play » « on Web Browser Games

Re: Dreaded Windows 10 1909 update

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

I am glad you finally got the Windows 10 1909 update installed.

I have also made some adjustments on the server running this forum so thing seem to run much more efficient.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

It's weird though, because each time I tried it before, it failed and got stuck. This time it didn't. I guess possibly some minor updates installed after the failed attempts, and before the recent successful install, might have paved the way for a good install. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

It took me a whole Sunday afternoon to install it on the laptop.

Even though this is a new Windows I am using right now I can see the update hanging around on the updates page. I thought I did this when I got this machine.

Do not like the PIN number deal on this new machine. Tried to change it back to using a password but it didn't take.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Had one or two minor updates recently. I know I'm using version 1909, which was a hard install, but everything seems to be working normally. In fact, if I was to guess, I think the box is booting a little faster, and shutting down faster. In terms of general "computing", I can't say it's running better or not.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

This new machine already has 1909.

It wants me to update to version 20H2. :x
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

:shock: Skynet!!

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator

I have been running Windows 10 20H2 for a while, so maybe it's time for you two to update? It's running fine on my computer.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

I'm and have for some time been running 19041 Home version.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator

Colbyt wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:41 pm I'm and have for some time been running 19041 Home version.
That's Windows 10 2004, so you should probably also update to Windows 10 20H2...

[Added]Here is a link to check what version of Windows 10 you use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1 ... on_history[/Added]

Return to “Tech Discussions”