How Professional is Your Email Address?

Area for general business issue discussions including business owner challenges, customer service and other business issues you may have or can help with.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

How Professional is Your Email Address?

Post by Accrete »

I have noticed a lot of professionals (sales people, business owners and general employees) do not use a business email address when handling business communications. They are using Gmail, Yahoo Mail, an address at MSN or other free email account.

While not everyone is technically inclined, you should ask someone to help you set up an email address at your business. It is not that hard even for a non techie. :)

Here ya go: Crafting a Professional Email Address: 4 Rules

When you see someone using a free email address as their business email address do you trust them?
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: How Professional is Your Email Address?

Post by Colbyt »

When you see someone using a free email address as their business email address do you trust them?
It sorta makes me think 'fly by night'

There is really no excuse for it.

What most people don't seem to understand is that all you really need is a domain name and a hosted email account. You don't have to have a website or a hosting account.

Isn't a professional image worth 30 bucks a year?
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Re: How Professional is Your Email Address?

Post by Accrete »

David Risley of Blog Marketing Academy has a post agreeing with me that a domain name email is better and why he moved away from Gmail (plus other Google services).
Why Use Domain-Based Email?

It is normal to do this if you're running a business or even a blog. You want your email addresses to jive with your brand. But, I think this is something you might want to consider doing even for personal email.

But, why?

For bloggers and business owners:
•It gives you the ability to use multiple email addresses for different purposes and keep things much more organized.
•It allows your email addresses to fit your brand and hence make them more memorable.
•It means you can pick whatever email address(es) you want without having to worry about whether that username is already taken.
•Most email hosting providers will simply not let you use a free email service as the "reply to" address on your emails to your list. You MUST use domain-based email.

For individuals:
•You can pick whatever email address you want (as long as the domain is your's, of course).
•You can easily set up multiple addresses for organizational purposes.
•You never have to change your email address. Even if you migrate email services or change email clients, you keep your address.

For these reasons, I personally think a domain-based email of your choosing is better than something like Gmail.
Complete article here: How To Set Up Domain-Based Email For Your Business (And Why I Quit Gmail)
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Return to “General Business Discussion”