Saving on Groceries

Our general discussion section is for fun and general off‐topic discussions. Sub forum include gaming.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Re: Saving on Groceries

Post by Accrete »

Some tips from a money coach on saving on groceries looking at the big picture of yearly spending:
If you buy your groceries using a few proven strategies, you can save a lot of money.
12 Ways to Save Big on Groceries and Shop on a Budget

I have gone to local farms and bought veggies, washed them as soon as I got home and put them in Tupperware in the fridge. They last much longer than from the grocery store.

When in season I buy berries, wash them, freeze on a cookie sheet then put in an ice cream bucket. That way you can grab a handful without them sticking together in a clump. I have even frozen grapes. Friends kids use to think those were great!

We have a grocery list on a clipboard to collect the list of what we are out of ready for next trip to the grocery store.

I go through the flyers and write down what is on sale that we use but limit travel to stores that are "on the way" to places we usually go to save on time and gas. When I get to the store I check if any unadvertised items are cheaper.

We do not get many coupons in the mail or newspaper but I do save the ones for stuff we use without turning into an extreme couponer.

The article brings up price matching. Tried that before. Embarrassed the person with me but I won!

In Canada the Retail Council has the Scanner Price Accuracy Code. So if you watch the clerk ring in your order and pricing is not right plus shopping at a member's store you could get the item for free or with $10 off. I got a small camping table for a dollar once because of this. :)

I stock pile non perishables when on sale without going crazy due to space restrictions. It has come in handy when there is a snow storm, been too sick to go out or like now when some stuff is scarce due to the pandemic.

The only bottled water I have is for when "the big one" comes. We are in an earthquake zone and it is recommended you have bottled water ready.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

LMD wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:48 pm We opted for pizza last evening. Chicken meal moved tonight.
I think I'm going to break down and buy a real pizza one night this week. A 600 degree oven should kill any cooties.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

Accrete
Administrator

Post by Accrete »

Speaking of pizza....

1) When we tried the South Beach Diet for pizza we used pita bread as the crust (you have to make individual pizzas), small can of pizza sauce, browned up some ground beef, added peppers and grated cheese. Quite good actually and filling!

2) When we were kids Mom made pizza at home with Chef Boyardee pizza kits (although the kits at the time were for 1 pizza).
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Post by LMD »

Colbyt wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:33 pm How did your super chicken turn out?
Actually, with bone in, and skin on, it was really great. I checked the recipe from the Tasty site, and the last step in cooking the meal with "skin on", is to take the thighs out of the pot after their time in the oven, and broil them for 30-45 seconds to "crisp up" the skin, keeping an eye on them so they don't burn. I know this version (skin on) isn't as healthy, but dang it, I certainly enjoyed it more. ;)

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

Accrete wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm Speaking of pizza....

1) When we tried the South Beach Diet for pizza we used pita bread as the crust (you have to make individual pizzas), small can of pizza sauce, browned up some ground beef, added peppers and grated cheese. Quite good actually and filling!

2) When we were kids Mom made pizza at home with Chef Boyardee pizza kits (although the kits at the time were for 1 pizza).
Still to this day I make a very thin crust pizza using flour tortillas. In a 425 oven they cook to crisp in about 7 minutes. A quick, lazy, meal when I decide on short notice that I want better than frozen.

I can and do make my own pan style dough but that takes some planning to allow for the rise.

I hate to waste food so I usually make a batch of sauce and freeze it in single pie sizes for later later use.

Have any of you ever tried the pizza crust in the can like biscuits?
Colbyt

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

I would sometimes buy the pizza dough at the Grocery store and cut it up into small portions to make fresh baked buns for din. It's been a while, but they were good. In the past, sometimes they'd put out some dough in cellophane wrap, in the cooler in front of the bakery still frozen, and I'd buy a few and keep them in the freezer.

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

Did your buns turn out like buns or breadstix?
That would sure be a quick way to make a small batch of stix.
Colbyt

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Buns, not bread sticks. We've been looking over a few recipes and breadsticks is one of them. But we've not gotten around to it yet.

Accrete
Administrator

Post by Accrete »

Colbyt wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:28 pm Have any of you ever tried the pizza crust in the can like biscuits?
Nope.

Looked it up. Pillsbury has one but don't remember ever seeing it here. Would it be in the freezers? By the pizzas or the frozen baking stuff?

Seem to remember seeing pizza dough in the cooler at the bakery.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

Accrete wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:01 pm
Looked it up. Pillsbury has one but don't remember ever seeing it here. Would it be in the freezers? By the pizzas or the frozen baking stuff?

Seem to remember seeing pizza dough in the cooler at the bakery.
Here the stores stock in the same area as the biscuits. In comes in a longer biscuit style can.
Colbyt

Return to “General Discussions”