World Health Organization declares coronavirus outbreak a 'pandemic'

Our general discussion section is for fun and general off‐topic discussions. Sub forum include gaming.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Re: World Health Organization declares coronavirus outbreak a 'pandemic'

Post by LMD »

I need a few things today, so if I go out, I'll see how the PB/Jam shelves look.

Note 1: Most of our food and pharmacy stores are allowing seniors and the "vulnerable" the opportunity to shop the first out of opening.

Note 2: I'm going to check to see if our country's leaders have a standard time they hold press conferences on TV. It would sure help to know this, instead of getting our local news synopsis (about JT) or CNN's synopsis (about DT) later in the day. :?

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Trudeau has been coming out for press conferences at about 7:30 am Pacific time. This am CBC live streamed on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om2fbGu8giw Federal Ministers have been taking questions from the press for the last hour so far.

Last night Global TV BC had a townhall meeting with local Health Minister and Chief Medical Officer on TV and Facebook Live. Same questions they have addressed everyday they have had their publicly broadcast updates.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Most questions go unanswered - I've watched JT every day (except day - not yet anyways) and he's good at dancing around the questions. At least here, they kind of try to, or attempt to answer the questions, but sometimes really don't.

I did catch most of the US press conference today.

DT and Dr. F were at opposite ends of the page today. Anyone that suggests something different than DT's unqualified suggestion is "a bad person" working for "a bad news agency". But Wow - let the experts answer the virus/medical questions. Dr. F was bowing his head in the back row (what happened to social-distancing anyhow?) and trying hard to not look confused and frustrated at what was being said at the podium, by DT and MP.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

Our state government was on top of this as of the first reported case so I have hope that our state will get off easy.

Just in case this is not being shown in your part of the world I would like to share a graph that local actions being based upon. The graph shows the stats from 2 US cities in the 1918 flu pandemic, Philadelphia and St Louis.
social-distancing.jpg
social-distancing.jpg (44.51 KiB) Viewed 3887 times
St Louis practiced social distancing earlier and Philly did not. Notice that when St Louis relaxed restriction they then had a second peak.

Philly had a caseload that overwhelmed their ability to treat patients. ST Louis never did

The consensus of opinion is that had they not relaxed too soon the second peak would have been much flatter. Based on announced intentions I think we are going to test that theory by keeping the restrictions in place for a longer period of time.

Take this thing seriously but don't let stress you.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Watching this one video on the news of the kids on south Florida beaches, well, the one that sticks in my head tends to lead me to believe they were drunk at the time, because that much bravado goes well beyond the feeling of just being young and invincible. The words coming out of this one kids mouth was shocking. "If I get it, I get it - no big deal.", or something similar.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Also - one thing that's not been discussed much is about people's retirement funds tanking. Sure, there will be a recovery, and it may take years, but between now and then, at least 30% of ones money needed to pay bills, insurance, groceries etc, has vanished. I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada, I'm hoping to hear some relief from taxes on our retirement income for a period of time to help get thru this. I know it's not the same as someone unable to pay a mortgage payment or their rent, but hell, I don't want to have to live in my kids basement too early. :lol:

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

LMD wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:47 pm Also - one thing that's not been discussed much is about people's retirement funds tanking. Sure, there will be a recovery, and it may take years, but between now and then, at least 30% of ones money needed to pay bills, insurance, groceries etc, has vanished. I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada, I'm hoping to hear some relief from taxes on our retirement income for a period of time to help get thru this. I know it's not the same as someone unable to pay a mortgage payment or their rent, but hell, I don't want to have to live in my kids basement too early. :lol:
A very valid concern if you were counting on the money in next 3 years.

I figure the bear market will last about a year and if the fed keeps interest rates low then the market is the only game in town.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Colbyt wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:49 pm A very valid concern if you were counting on the money in next 3 years.

I figure the bear market will last about a year and if the fed keeps interest rates low then the market is the only game in town.
If and when the market recovers - let's say it's 2 years from now. It will be probably 3 years earlier than planned, that one's retirement money will run out. So, if it looks like the money runs out at say 85, instead of 88, something will have to give in the hear-and-now.

That said, it's a given that one's retirement plan is fluid and the plan will change several times in the future - hopefully not too much though. Maybe a couple of really good years might negate that change. Maybe something else might come along and negate progress 10-15 years from now. Who knows what will happen - I certainly don't.

It is, however, times like these that really make you think about what's really important in our lives.

One note in all the chaos - and I don't know how true it is - but the Venice canals are reported to be much cleaner as a result of less tourism. I guess the planet wins on that one. :shrug:

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Strong tone in our Prime Minister's address this am. Behave yourself, do as you are told or else...
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Kids are still using basketball courts, there are still (for some incomprehensible reason) covidiots having "house parties". Smh

Return to “General Discussions”