What SSL Is, and Which Certificate Type is Right for You

This is the web hosting section.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

If you are wondering what SSL is and which SSL certificate type is right for your website or blog, SitePoint has this article explaining different SSL certificates you have to choose from:
...you’ll learn how to protect your customers and your business from privacy invasion and data theft. You’ll learn how to use SSL technology to secure your websites and your applications from leaking sensitive data to eavesdroppers....

Did you find this article on SSL certificates helpful?
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: What SSL Is, and Which Certificate Type is Right for You

Post by Colbyt »

Yes but with qualifiers. I don't think the article contained enough info about the domain validation certificate.

When I went looking for one to merely encrypt the data and provide secure logins for a site that is not a payment gateway I found it a bit confusing. I could self generate but in this day and age I fear a lot of people would be turned off by the browser warning and would not add an exception. Not having one also generates a warning for login information; another turnoff for a lot of people.

Let's Encrypt is the best deal out there if you you do not need insurance. It is really hard to beat FREE.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator
Latest blog post: Play » RealEstate Giant « on Web Browser Games
Answers: 0

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

Colbyt wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:41 pm Yes but with qualifiers. I don't think the article contained enough info about the domain validation certificate.

When I went looking for one to merely encrypt the data and provide secure logins for a site that is not a payment gateway I found it a bit confusing. I could self generate but in this day and age I fear a lot of people would be turned off by the browser warning and would not add an exception. Not having one also generates a warning for login information; another turnoff for a lot of people.

Let's Encrypt is the best deal out there if you you do not need insurance. It is really hard to beat FREE.
I know that there is a lot of free software on the market to implement Let's Encrypt certificates, i use a software called Certify The Web, but take a look on Let's Encrypt's client software list:
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/client-options/ .

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

J. H. Rasmussen wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 am
I know that there is a lot of free software on the market to implement Let's Encrypt certificates, i use a software called Certify The Web, but take a look on Let's Encrypt's client software list:
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/client-options/ .
I installed it with a few mouse clicks as the control panel did all the work. The CP handles the renewals as well. I suppose people who are not using a panel would have a much bigger challenge.
Colbyt

LMD
Contributing Member
Answers: 0

Post by LMD »

Most of the clients I've dealt with didn't need or want SSL. Only one or two wanted SSL - and only because they read somewhere it was good for ranking. They had nothing sensitive or logins, nor were they selling anything. They were medical personnel that thought they should be webmasters too. Good for them to some degree, but while I know a little about plumbing, I'm not, nor want to be a plumber.

I know my limits! ;)

However, clearly it appears that potential need for SSL that we're all reading about today, will change into "you must have" as we continue forward. I'm just hoping there will be a simple process thru their hosting domain CPs when the time comes.

Colbyt
Administrator

Post by Colbyt »

LMD wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:57 pm
However, clearly it appears that potential need for SSL that we're all reading about today, will change into "you must have" as we continue forward. I'm just hoping there will be a simple process thru their hosting domain CPs when the time comes.
Sites have had logins for many years with no SSL but now that all the major players are throwing up a warning screen or at a minimum the warning box I fear the time is now.

Let's be honest everyone know or knows someone who has been a victim of internet fraud and most don't want it for themselves.
Colbyt

Return to “Web Hosting”