Zoom Scrutinized As Security Woes Mount

Online security discussions belong to this section.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

Something Zoom users should be aware of:
The New York Attorney General has inquired about Zoom’s data security strategy, as the conferencing platform comes under heavy scrutiny for its privacy policies.

The New York attorney general, Letitia James, is demanding more information about how Zoom secures user data. The inquiry comes amidst mounting public scrutiny of the web conferencing platform’s data privacy and security policies...

Are you going to continue to use Zoom?
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Accrete
Administrator

Re: Zoom Scrutinized As Security Woes Mount

Post by Accrete »

Blog post from Eric S. Yuan, Founder and CEO, Zoom:
...What we’re going to do

Over the next 90 days, we are committed to dedicating the resources needed to better identify, address, and fix issues proactively. We are also committed to being transparent throughout this process. We want to do what it takes to maintain your trust. This includes:
• Enacting a feature freeze, effectively immediately, and shifting all our engineering resources to focus on our biggest trust, safety, and privacy issues.
• Conducting a comprehensive review with third-party experts and representative users to understand and ensure the security of all of our new consumer use cases.
• Preparing a transparency report that details information related to requests for data, records, or content.
• Enhancing our current bug bounty program.
• Launching a CISO council in partnership with leading CISOs from across the industry to facilitate an ongoing dialogue regarding security and privacy best practices.
• Engaging a series of simultaneous white box penetration tests to further identify and address issues.
• Starting next week, I will host a weekly webinar on Wednesdays at 10am PT to provide privacy and security updates to our community.
Complete blog post: A Message to Our Users
April 1, 2020 by Eric S. Yuan
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

Accrete
Administrator

Compromised Zoom Credentials Swapped in Underground Forums

Post by Accrete »

Thousands of compromised Zoom credentials were discovered in underground forums as cybercriminals look to tap into the burgeoning remote workforce.

Researchers have uncovered a database shared on an underground forum containing more than 2,300 compromised Zoom credentials.

The database contained usernames and passwords for Zoom accounts – including corporate accounts belonging to banks, consultancy companies, educational facilities, healthcare providers and software vendors. Some of the accounts included meeting IDs, names and host keys in addition to credentials.
Compromised Zoom Credentials Swapped in Underground Forums
Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed url.
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

Accrete
Administrator

Post by Accrete »

Not good news for Zoom users:
Cybersecurity researchers found the credentials for more than 500,000 Zoom accounts either for sale or even being given away for free on the dark web.

BleepingComputer is reporting that cybersecurity intelligence firm Cyble has discovered that Zoom accounts, including logins and passwords, are being posted on hacker forums. Some are being posted for free, some are being sold for fractions of a penny. To date, Cyble has tabulated there are over 500,000 available.

Cyble was able to purchase roughly 530,000 accounts for $0.0020 USD each, thereby obtaining their email address, password, personal meeting URL, and host key (the 6-digit pin number Zoom meeting hosts can use). Many of the accounts for sale belonged to companies or institutions including Chase, Citibank, and numerous universities. The firm told Bleeping Computer that it had started to see accounts pop up for sale since April 1, with the posters seeking to boost their reputation among hacker communities...
Continued: Security Researchers Discover Over 500,000 Zoom Accounts Being Sold on Dark Web
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

Makes me real glad I never partook.

With the way people recycle passwords this could be a real problem.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

Accrete
Administrator

Zoom acquires encryption startup Keybase to help make video calls more secure

Post by Accrete »

Some news about Zoom improving security:
Video conferencing service Zoom is acquiring Keybase, a startup that will help it implement end-to-end encryption to protect calls from unwelcome guests and clandestine monitoring.
Continued: Zoom acquires encryption startup Keybase to help make video calls more secure
‎May‎ ‎7‎, ‎2020
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

Return to “Online Security”