What is going on in your life?

Our general discussion section is for fun and general off‐topic discussions. Sub forum include gaming.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator
Latest blog post: Play » RealEstate Giant « on Web Browser Games
Answers: 0

What is going on in your life?

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

I was thinking this could be a thread where we could learn a bit about each other.

Currently i use a lot of time on making custom coding on this forum which is one of the things i enjoy doing.

So what is happening in your life?

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: What is going on in your life?

Post by Colbyt »

I don't think I've shared the news that I have taken up wine making as a hobby. Truth be told I've never really had a hobby before that cost money to start so it is a new experience for me.

As you do know I formerly hacked out self taught php code.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator

Colbyt wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:05 pm I don't think I've shared the news that I have taken up wine making as a hobby. Truth be told I've never really had a hobby before that cost money to start so it is a new experience for me.
It is important to do something we like with our free time. I don't drink alcohol, so the hobbies that i have is related to coding and repairing electronics.
Colbyt wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:05 pm As you do know I formerly hacked out self taught php code.
Yes i know, and it's nice we have you as a backup on this forum if we need a PHP coder :)

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

I'm beginning retirement (more or less), figuring what expenses I can dial back, and where I can allocate more $ for things like travel and golf.

I'm not a coder, nor have I been anything more than a designer, manager and maybe basic maintenance coder. In fact, strike anything to do with coding.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator

LMD wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm I'm beginning retirement (more or less), figuring what expenses I can dial back, and where I can allocate more $ for things like travel and golf.
Accrete(HTMLBasicTutor) is propebly going to like this.
LMD wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm I'm not a coder, nor have I been anything more than a designer, manager and maybe basic maintenance coder. In fact, strike anything to do with coding.
So what part of design is it you do, graphics design?

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

J. H. Rasmussen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 pm Accrete(HTMLBasicTutor) is propebly going to like this.
Golf? Ya, I've noticed a few posts at the other forum on that topic.
J. H. Rasmussen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:46 pmSo what part of design is it you do, graphics design?
No - I subbed out the work for true graphics when required. I dealt with photo images mostly. It was WP themes I used, changed/customized, managed, and still provide WP security.

Note: one of my clients, for some reason, has found the ire of some hackers that try to login sometimes 50 or more times overnight. I know they must be using a bunch of geo-specific IPs - china, India, Malesia, Kazakhstan, various Russian ips - I'm telling you. None from Canada though. ;)

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Post by Colbyt »

I don't know if WP supports this. It all depends on whether the scripts are relative or absolute. Sometimes the cure is renaming the login script to some random filename and removing all links to it.

The hackers or their bots are always crawling. Even using a non-standard port number I still get a few lockouts per night. Iran recently joined the fray. China is by far the largest number.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

Ya, I could be wrong about this, but I think hackers can find a login location no matter where it is hidden. It's not just the logins that are at risk though - it's also the uploads as well. I'd need a lot more fingers and toes to count the number of hacker-failed "upload" attempts that go on in a month. I'm also positive that those website owners, or in my case, clients that choose not to update their WP version, and plugins, will find all sorts of nasty things going on inside their WP environment. :shock:

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator

If you now that the bots uses static IP addresses, then the easy way would properly be to block the IP addresses from the website.

Other options could be to add some input html tags, and use something like display: none; on them, if they are filled out you will know you are dealing with a robot, but depending on how you do it, it could require some coding knowledge.

We also have some bots from Russia trying to guess login information on the mail server, and i normally don't like to block IP addresses, but i had to block a few anyways. I am not to worried however, all passwords on the mail server are strong, so it would take an extreme long time to guess what they are.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

They use so many different IP's. When I block them, they've got hundreds (maybe thousands - who knows) they can use.

Yep, they are bots I'm sure. Not enough coding knowledge to hinder the login pages.

Passwords are extremely hard. Most can't even get the User Name, never mind the passwords. But, they do try the recovery - which is limited to 2 tries, then the IP is blocked for two months. To block "forever", I'd have to log into each site and manually block each one, and I'm not paid enough to do that. ;)

Return to “General Discussions”