Overcoming the Isolation of Working From Home

Area for general business issue discussions including business owner challenges, customer service and other business issues you may have or can help with.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

As mentioned in this article on John Chow's blog working from home can be isolating. Yes your family is around but if they are not directly involved with your business working from home can be isolating because you have no one to discuss business with that understands it's ins and outs. You may have interaction with friends or acquaintances online but that isn't quite the same as physically "going to work" and interacting with people in person.
...We have to remember that being “alone” and “loneliness” are not necessarily the same thing. If you choose to take the path of remote working, particularly as a digital nomad, you may indeed by surrounded by lots of people and interact with them every day. At the same time, you can feel incredibly lonely and isolated, because those interactions are so superficial. As human beings, we need meaningful relationships and interactions...

As mentioned in the article John Chow held lunch meetings/get togethers (he called them Dot Com Pho) for his online colleagues and followers to meet up for a bite.

What are you doing to overcome the isolation of working from home?
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: Overcoming the Isolation of Working From Home

Post by Colbyt »

Enjoying it.

No seriously I mean it. I am an extrovert and I find most people I meet not to be anyone I feel the need to spend time with.

I get all the social interaction I need online.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Re: Overcoming the Isolation of Working From Home

Post by Accrete »

If you are transitioning from "going to work" to working from home perhaps these tips will help you with that transition and keep productive:
Working at home, especially when you're not used to it, can be really tough. Here are some tips that can help make the transition easier — as well as some that may help take the edge off of staying in...

...Since working from home can be a challenge, here's a list of things you can do to make your WFH experience more refreshing, effective and fun!...
Working From Home? Keep Healthy and Productive with These Tips
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Return to “General Business Discussion”