Website Backups

This section is for web design related questions.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Website Backups

Post by Accrete »

Your web hosting may say they backup your hosting account regularly but how long is it going to take if their server crashes? What if it was your own fault the site is broken?
Why regular website backups matter

For a website, its codebase, and its data, regular full backups are the vehicle that provides that peace of mind.

If you had to make a choice, which you shouldn’t, at the very least you should ensure your data (the stuff in your database like names, contact info, etc) is protected.

One could argue that your site’s theme and plugins could be restored manually if need be, but the data accumulated over time that’s stored in your database is the major component that may not be so easy to rebuild.

In some cases, where user data, accounts, comments, reviews, etc. is lost, it is virtually impossible to rebuild.

Websites that get hacked, are inadvertently deleted or just stop working from a misapplied update show your customers that you’re not on top of these things.

Consistency in everything that you do provides your customers the confidence they demand before they give you their business...

Any downtime could result in lost leads or sales.
Why do regular backups of your website matter?

I have several manual backups of the sites I work on just in case something goes wrong. This has helped a lot when a client has been hacked.

What website backup methods do you have in place?
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Re: Website Backups

Post by Accrete »

Another article on the need to make sure you have a backup plan for your site:
...The most glaring finding in the survey is one in four retailers have permanently lost critical business data. This the report says is responsible for crippling sales and revenue.

It is important to note all of the respondents in the survey have adopted a backup strategy now. However, before this decision, close to 60% never backed up their web content by any method. This was primarily driven by the wrong assumption that cloud software did the job. This in turn was responsible for a lot of data loss. In fact, the survey reveals eCommerce data loss is surprisingly common...
1 in 4 Retailers Lost Critical Business Data Permanently Without a Backup System
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Colbyt
Administrator
Latest blog post: The magical little can that replaces 4 pantry item...
Answers: 2

Re: Website Backups

Post by Colbyt »

I somehow missed your initial post but I try to do what you do. All my files are backed up locally and I try to keep the DB backed up offsite.
Colbyt
Reducing my online presence to do some other things.

Return to “Web Design and UX”