Combofix, A Somber End

Discuss anti‐virus programs and issues here.
Forum rules
Please make yourself familiar with our rules and guidelines before posting.
Random American
Normal Member
Answers: 0

Combofix, A Somber End

Post by Random American »

There is an antivirus software known as Combofix and whenever I would have a malware infection, it would always find it and nuke it. It was a professional level tool not really marketed to typical computer users, but I still often used it. Unfortunately, when I upgraded to Windows 8 (which was a terrible OS btw), Combofix was no longer compatible. It's since been upgraded to work in Windows 8, but still doesn't work in windows 10 currently. It's a damn shame to be honest, as it was one of the best antivirus programs out there in my opinion. It's sad that it doesn't work with modern operating systems. While others always viewed it as a mere last resort, I always used it much more liberally.

J. H. Rasmussen
Administrator
Latest blog post: Play » « on Web Browser Games

Re: Combofix, A Somber End

Post by J. H. Rasmussen »

It's never good when we get to like a product and find out it's not compatible with the OS we have upgraded to. I currently uses Avast, but i think it shows way to much advertisement for it self. So i think we could all use a new free good anti-malware product.

Maybe Combofix will support Windows 10 at a later time(i really don't know).

Random American
Normal Member

Post by Random American »

J. H. Rasmussen wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:59 pm It's never good when we get to like a product and find out it's not compatible with the OS we have upgraded to. I currently uses Avast, but i think it shows way to much advertisement for it self. So i think we could all use a new free good anti-malware product.

Maybe Combofix will support Windows 10 at a later time(i really don't know).
I use the free version of Malwarebytes now. It's not perfect but it gets the job done as far as malware removal. I might even buy the full version when the free trial of premium expires. Not saying others here would like it, but it's what I use.

Accrete
Administrator
Latest blog post: Have You Read the Webmaster Guidelines Yourself?
Answers: 1

Post by Accrete »

I recently got a new computer and installed Malwarebytes because i use to have it on the old machine. Trial has run out. Not that impressed to pay for it.

Years ago a client got infected and her tech guy installed SuperAntiSpyware that has a malware database it updates. There is a paid version but I have been using the free version.

Trend Micro's House Call is still around. It has been around for years. Have not had to use it for years. Maybe these days you have to pay for it to fix all problems (like a lot of scan programs).
Yours truly,
Accrete Web Solutions

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

LMD
Contributing Member

Post by LMD »

I have Norton 360 which scans on bootup. A computer guy recommended Malwarebytes, if I was going to install a malware app and it wants to scan on bootup. Finally, the latest version of Acronis wants to scan for anomalies at bootup too.

It's like 3 sibling toddlers fighting at once trying to get the upper hand on something. I boot, then go get a cappuccino. Then FB for a while till things settle down. :lol:

Return to “Anti-virus”